Tuesday, December 30, 2014

10 months - already (almost)!

I thought about blogging after 1 month. Then again a couple of months after that. At 6 months I thought to myself "I should really get something written for 6 months of marriage". And now, here we are, almost at 10 (TEN) full months of wedded bliss (cliche to say, I know) and I can't believe that a full year of marriage will be here before we know it! I remember thinking to myself this time last year just how quickly our wedding day would come. My birthday, then the holidays, and then just about 2 months until we would walk down the aisle. And now I'm sitting here, thinking the same thing, except about being married to Joe for one full year. (Maybe one of my "resolutions" for 2015 will be to blog more?)

It's been an eventful 10 months to say the least, with a lot of growing personally, professionally and coupley (I made that last word up - whatever). I don't know how to describe how it feels to be months into our marriage, because there isn't one word, or even two, to describe it.

Right after the wedding I felt really depressed. Not about being married, not one bit! But, that everything was over. Friends stopped checking in as much, there were no more weekends spent with my mom and my grandma planning everything and running errands, my dream wedding dress was worn and quickly retired, there was no more hoopla, no more "excitement". I found out this is legitimately called the Post-Wedding Blues and many brides really go through it post-wedding. Not because they aren't happy, but because a wedding has so much build-up and everything is hyper-sensationalized, and then over in one blink. That was over after a month or two. However, my wedding dress is still hanging out in our bedroom outside of our closet door and occasionally I wish I could wear it all over again!

Both Joe and I also got new jobs, and with these new jobs came new hours, travel, better pay, benefits, vacation time and all that fun stuff. I wouldn't say we didn't have "grown-up" jobs before, but our new positions definitely have us feeling a lot more financially stable and like we are both on great career paths now! Joe was gone for his job a lot at the beginning, and I spent many weeks at home by myself - but it's all good. We did the semi-long distance thing when I was in college so we survived. He's been home for the last couple of months, but will start traveling a bit again here in a couple of weeks. It shouldn't be too bad this time around though! I've also gotten to do some travel for my job - in the first couple of month at my job I got to go to San Diego and Kelowna, British Columbia in Canada! It's been a little bit of an adjustment. Our previous schedules were a lot more flexible, but I'd say the trade-off has been more than worth it.

As for our own relationship, I definitely notice a change, but can't quite put my finger on it. We were together for 4 years before getting married and had lived together for a few months before making it official, so I like to think we knew the ins and outs of one another. But, something is definitely different, but a good different. I feel like I love even more and put even more thought and care into my actions that affect Joe and our marriage. Dating is a commitment, but marriage is a whole different ball game. It's been so great to see how our relationship has evolved over the last 5+ years, and in the first months of being married!

I really just can't believe that a year of marriage is creeping up on us in just a couple of months! It really does fly by and I'm just going along taking it all in and enjoying every second of this crazy new life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment