Thursday, May 16, 2013

We Have a Winner!

Last night we finally booked our reception venue! I've been waiting to be able to mark this off of the "to-do" list for quite some time, so to be able to know that one of the biggest things is taken care is a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.

Joseph and I had looked at a handful of reception venues a couple of months after we got engaged. The only one I really, truly, fell in love with was the Women's Club, which was unfortunately sold earlier this year and will no longer be available for wedding receptions. I also really liked Baker Street Train Station, but I wasn't opposed to other venues. So, for the last few months I've kind of been in reception venue lala land. I knew I didn't want the standard reception hall. I wanted somewhere that had character and that acted as a part of the reception itself rather than just the building that the reception is held in. After going to a couple of bridal shows I started to really really love a place called Dupont Downs. It has this very natural, airy and sophisticated feeling to it. The building used to be a lifestyle store, greenhouse and cafe, which left a really neat layout.

After swooning over Dupont Downs' bridal show displays, website and photos from wedding photographers I had seen, I decided to make an appointment to go look at the venue in person. Fast forward to yesterday after work and my mom, grandma and I were meeting with the owner, Sharon, and my love for the space was solidified. We looked around for about an hour; checking out the space, talking about ideas, looking at her warehouse of decorations and discussing layouts. By the time our little tour was over I was more than ready to book our date. Unfortunately Joe could't go with us due to work, so I was worried about making a decision about such a huge part of our wedding day without him even seeing the venue in person. I called him and told him my thoughts and he gave me the go ahead to make the decision. So come March, Dupont Downs is where we will be having our wedding reception!

I wish there were better photos available online, or that had had taken better pictures while I was there, but they are in the process of updating new photos so these will do to give an idea of what the venue looks like.

The front end of the main area where they usually set up the head table. (It was being set up for an event this weekend.)
Risen areas in the main part where they put a lot of the tables.
The food area. There are 3 stainless steel surfaces for buffets and food stations.
The bridal suite! This is just a portion of the whole suite. It also includes a full shower, full kitchen and a changing room.
One of the many options available for utilizing the ceiling in the space.
A set-up they had for their Taste Of event with paper lantern hanging. 
I can't wait to work more with Sharon and start to talk about how we'll decorate, catering, etc... I can't believe that there are only 10 months until the wedding!




2 comments: