Thursday, August 15, 2013

Finding a Caterer



This afternoon we have our first catering tasting with Club Soda! I’m really excited about this because, let’s be honest, one of the most important parts of the reception and what most people tend to remember is the food! Club Soda is one of the preferred caterers of our reception site, Dupont Downs, basically meaning that they have worked together enough and had enough success that Dupont Downs is confident referring Club Soda to clients and likes to work with them.
 At first I was a little skeptical about looking at Club Soda. It definitely has nothing to do with the quality of the food – it’s amazing! We are working with more frugal budget, and I wasn’t sure how somewhere like Club Soda would fit in. They are known for their amazing food (and drinks) and I’ve always associated them with more fine-dining (and out of my price range) fare. I’ve only eaten at Club Soda a couple of times, but each time I’ve been blown away! From their Gouda dip, to their turkey sandwich, to their AMAZING desserts, there’s nothing that isn’t delicious. After poking around on their website I was actually really surprised to see how closely their catering options line up price-wise with a lot of other caterers around town, and in some cases is actually a little cheaper. I didn’t look at the pricing and immediately panic! (Little victories here with wedding planning.) They have the option of doing dinner buffet-style, plated, heavy Hors D’ oeuvres, and so on….

A few weeks ago my grandma took me there for lunch when she came to visit me at work and thankfully is a million times more assertive than I am. While we were touring around Dupont Downs and booking them for my and Joe’s reception, she also booked the venue for my family’s company Christmas party (go figure) and is looking at using Club Soda for catering as well. So, she asked to talk to the head of catering during our lunch and luckily he was around to chat us up. I’ve been stuck on the idea of having food stations at the reception of the “usual” reception kind of dinner. Actually, stuck is putting it mildly. I’m obsessed with it and it has been my mission to get everyone involved in planning this wedding on board with my food station dreams.  Luckily it seems that Club Soda is more than open to this idea and have done it in the past with other weddings. Score! We haven’t really decided what kind of food stations we want. We’ve thrown out ideas like a burger/slider bar, taco bar, mashed potato bar, Italian bar…but I just want everything so nothing has been decided. Hopefully after the tasting I’ll have a better idea of what we’re thinking and maybe even make a decision! 

It’s really simultaneously exciting and terrifying to be in this stage of planning. We’re about 6 1/2 months (SIX AND A HALF MONTHS) from the big day, so it’s GO time on just about everything! As the days widdle away I’m constantly thinking about everything we have left to do. Place our save the date and invitation order, decide on flowers, make sure all of the bridesmaids have their fitting for the dress, decide on suits/tuxes, book the DJ, etc… It’s a long list, but I know it will get done. Having a March wedding is nice because it’s the wedding “off season” so a lot of the big things like florists and caterers aren’t booking fast and we can be a little more leisurely with getting things off the to-do list. 

So, hopefully by the end of the day we can cross one more thing off of our list with catering!

0 comments:

Post a Comment